Thursday, February 12, 2009

Least of these...

We had a core group meeting awhile ago, in it we talked about the possible personalities that may enter the doors of our church. Personalities that may have been or are being shunned by society. The transvestite, the homeless, the prostitute, the poor, the dirty, the weak, the young and the old. People who are broken and have been beaten down by this world that we live in.
Someone in our meeting said that by summer maybe we as a church will be ready to receive these types of people into our church. This person said this, with the heart that we as a body of believers have some issues within ourselves that need to be worked out before we can love others like we are called to do. (I think this process has already begun in our church)
You see its easy to love the clean, the pretty, the well-to-do, but when it comes to loving the ones that are not so pretty or clean, we have a difficult time. Even writing that makes me feel a bit of grief. I can be so stuck-up sometimes...so judgmental, critical and harsh. So everything, that Jesus stood against...lived against.
Last night at church two girls in my youth group approached me with a question. They asked if it would be alright if they could invite a kid to come to our next youth group meeting. At first I was like, why even ask, of course its ok. But then quickly they explained the "why." They shared with me that this kid that they want to invite is a little different. He dresses a little strange and his behavior is a bit "off" as well. My two youth girls wanted to make sure that he would be well received if they were to bring him to church.
My heart did a hop and a skip and I could feel pressure building up to where I wanted to weep. I told the girls that of course they could invite their friend to youth group and that I would make sure he felt welcome and loved. I guess what really got to me was, again, that they even had to ask. They had to ask if a kid who is a bit different would be well received in a church! A church! The church is suppose to be a representation of the One we come to church for! The church is suppose to be as Christ! Who did He hang out with?! Who did He choose to be His followers. Who did He fellowship over dinner with?! Who did He die for?! The outcasts, the misfits, the weirdos of society, the poor, the cheaters, the ones that were shunned by the "religious."
My heart is crying out to be like Jesus. To have His heart that beats for others, no matter where they are on the ladder of society. I know though that I have a long way to go because I am so critical and judgmental and harsh. And could it be that who I am and the lame tendencies that I walk in, could it be that this is what is being demonstrated in the church as well? I don't think this assessment is too far from the truth.
Oh to be like Jesus! His compassion and pure love that He expressed unrestrained toward others would put our acts of love to shame.
Here lately the Lord has been doing some things in my life that have brought me to a pretty weakened and broken state. At first I was so angry! Why does life have to be so hard! Then I realized that the real issue in my heart was pride. I thought I deserved more, better. WELL, maybe as the Lord continues to break and weaken me I will develop a better taste of WHO HE IS! He is pounding on my flesh so that His Spirit might reign. He is challenging my pride that I might walk in humility so that I can be like HIM.
I want to love as Jesus loved! I want to look at others with His eyes. I want to be compassionate and nurturing towards those who are hurting and misunderstood. I cannot be that if I'm so caught up with myself, my hurts and my issues, that I'm blind to the issues and hurts of others!

So yeah...I was pondering all of this this morning. Wondering if I'm brave enough to cry out to God to make me more like Him. Because really, am I ready to go through what Jesus did so that I can be like Him?? Yikes...that's a scary thought. However I am reminded of the quote from the movie, Prince Caspian. Caspian says to Aslan that he doesn't feel he is ready to be at the same level as the others (the Pevensie kids). But Aslan reassures him by saying, " It is for that very reason, that I know you are."
So, I guess we shall see. I'm excited/nervous. :)

“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’ - Matthew 25:40

"But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." - 1 Samuel 16:7

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. It's beyond frustrating for me to see the way that Christians eschew people who have not made the same life choices as themselves. Why is this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog really speaks to me. I've been struggling with the same ol' sins and my prayer has been, "Lord give me strength to fight this." To me I thought that was a good prayer but one day God reminded me of the sermon on the mount and how nowhere does it say blessed are the strong. Wasn't until I prayed that I would decrease so that the Lord could increase in me that things finally broke.

    This is gettin' a little long, but The Lord keeps bringing me back to 1 Samuel 16:7 as well (though I thought there was as verse somewhere else in the Bible like that) and all that verse means. Thanks for this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leanne, today was the first day I read anything from your blog... and this entry spoke to me so much that tears welled up in my eyes (and that doesn't happen too often)... to be reminded of the greatest commandment, the commandment of LOVE... to be reminded that I need to get my eyes off of myself and onto loving others.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!! I finally got on here and read your stuff, wow this is why your my friend! LOL you are eonderful and I love your insight it is awesome! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant wonderful ...ha ha

    ReplyDelete