Thursday, February 26, 2009

sing praise

Lately the Lord has been dealing with my heart about rendering praise to Him.

All last week two of my friends, my mom and I challenged ourselves to abstain from making personal petitions to Lord for 7 days. So instead of asking the Lord to meet our personal needs, we were going to substitute in praise and worship.
It was ironic that we decided to do this the week that we did, because it was the week where I had alot of things to bring to the Lord. Just alot of stuff that was on my heart to ask the Lord about. But I figured, He knows my needs and what's on my heart already - I will accept this challenge. Let me tell you, that week flew by!
I realized from this challenge that things in my life seemed less stressful and drawn out when I had an attitude of praise and worship. The daily irritants seemed petty.

Although making personal petitions is good and Biblical, this should not be what tips the scale throughout the day as I commune with God. Praise and worship should be the largest part of my life. Why is this!? Well, I think it's because personal petitions can easily tip into the selfish pool, making my quiet times more about ME than God. Therefore, as I determined to worship and praise the Lord throughout the day, my eyes were not so focused on ME but on Christ. Hmmm. The worry and and stress that sometimes hits me throughout the day or week was somehow eliminated and I found myself feeling kinda carefree and joyous.

"Praise helps you focus on what God is going to do in your life rather than you keeping your focus on what is happening around you.
"

It says in Psalm 22:3 that "the Lord inhabits the praises of His people." Meaning, the Lord shows up when we praise Him. Wow! Sounds good to me, aye!

I am also reminded of the story of Paul and Silas when they were imprisoned and they began praying and singing praises to God. As they did this God showed up and opened the doors to their prison cells and through that, revival pretty much broke out that night!

Sometimes things in my life seem so overwhelming. My finances, my job, my school work and just life, can press on me till I feel I will surely break. And its in those times that "praise" is literally the last thing in my heart to do. It seems so backwards - to praise God when things seem so awful and without hope.

Just this morning I started to think about my life. Everything I have to do, my bills, my work or lack thereof, and I could feel my forehead starting to crease with worry but very smoothly God interrupted me with one word, PRAISE.
I'm not going to lie. I did not feel at all in the mood to praise...I lacked the energy. But I had nothing else to do so I made my way downstairs and and turned on my "we cry out" dvd. Since I lacked the energy to lead myself into Praise, why not let Kim Walker lead. haha. I curled up on the couch and then just allowed myself to be washed in the worship and praise of the Jesusculture band. It wasn't long until my heart became engaged and my mood began to change and my eyes were once again correctly placed onto my King. My
Jehovah - Jireh, the One who will provide all my needs. My Jehovah – Rohi, the One who will guide me in all things when I lack direction.

So I choose to put on the garment of praise today, Jesus. For I desire to please You and to bless You. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hey... check out my latest blog
    http://rocketiam.blogspot.com/2009/02/good.html

    I miss you.
    but
    Love you more!

    I'll try calling again soon =)

    ReplyDelete